In this episode we’ll discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from Cerbero and Tempestuous, we’ll discuss some tidbits from the music-related podcast community in the Podcast Roundup, and we’ll wrap the show discussing Metalsucks.net’s thoughts on ‘Why There Will Never Be Another Metal Band as Big as Metallica.’
In this episode we discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from DEATH IS THE NAVIGATOR from Southampton in the UK and SOULSTORM out of Canada, and we’ll wrap the show some tidbits from the music-related podcast community in the Podcast Roundup!
RIP Keith Emerson
Also, former BLUE MURDER Keyboardist NIK GREEN died after his battle With cancer.
6. There is still time to get your submissions in for the Ellefson Music Porudction’s UNDERGROUND SAMPLER! 20 unsigned artists will be chosen to be on a sampler released internationally, and inside EVERY EMP Label Group release!
Submission is easy. Upload your track to Soundcloud or Reverbnation, and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EMP UNDERGROUND!
Commented vocalist/guitarist Gabe Tachell about the song:
“One of our most progressive and somewhat psychedelic songs, it’s about a fucked up nightmare I had.”
‘An Outsider’ is the follow up to RHINE’s 2011 debut ‘Duality’, which was first a solo effort by band founder Gabriel Tachell (guitar and vocals) whom is now joined by Alex Smolin on guitar (ex-Metameric), James Porter on bass (Ideofone), and Carlos Delgado (Inferion, ex-Death Crowned King) to collaborate on this project.
Seattle’s Rhine are seamlessly connecting German thrash metal with Swedish death metal much like their namesake, the Rhine River. The founder of the group Gabriel Tachell named it such for its simplicity and as a metaphor for fluidity and change.
2. Manitou Springs, CO based AKHENATEN is a Middle Eastern black/ death metal project created in 2012 by the Houseman brothers as a side hobby to their full time band Helleborus. With all music arranged by Jerred and vocals done by his brother Wyatt, the duo are now are offering fans a FREE download of their track ‘Ninurta: The Fall Of Anzu’ from their recently released debut album ‘Incantations Through the Gates of Irkalla’ via Satanath Records (Russia), Murdher Records (Italy) along with Darzamadicus Records (Macedonia).
‘As a token of our appreciation regarding the positive feedback surrounding this release, we are offering you all a free download of Ninurta: The Fall Of Anzu. Soon we will have shirts available with the accompanying illustrations by Dymond Starr. The artwork is a visual reflection the track as it depicts Ninurta slaying Anzu.’ comments vocalist Wyatt Houseman.
3. Hey – Any Canadian bands out there tuning in? Want to play in Cuba? Well, you have a chance to win a slot on the Brutal Brutal Battle Cuba tour! Submissions are now open for independent Canadian metal bands in Oshawa, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Fredericton and Moncton to submit to this year’s first ever competition. One group will win a performing slot on this year’s 2016 BRUTAL SUMMER FEST TOUR line up where they will be playing in front hundreds of Cuban metalheads each night.
“We have been working on this project for a while and we are really excited that it is finally happening! It’s a great opportunity for bands to experience touring outside of Canada and getting the chance to share the stage with international bands. Chase Wilson and I were part of the first Canadian metal band to tour Cuba in 2014. The cultural immersion as well as the musical experience really makes it a Brutal Fest!” comments BBC organizer Rich O’Neil.
4. Unbowed to release Dogma February 12th, 2016. With Dogma, the follow-up to Unbowed’s 2014 debut full-length, Collapse The World, certainly reflects the deeper meaning of the band’s monicker. The songs contained wiithin are eloquent, forceful, and wholly unyielding. The somber atmosphere of Black Metal is apparent whilst the band bludgeons into thick, suffocating Death Metal riffing. With your head already reeling, the band tears open the fabric of reality with soaring Orchestral and Symphonic elements that takes the listener from purgatory to paradise, all in the same fleeting moments. From acoustic guitars and grand pianos to choir ensembles and harps, this is a Metal release that pushes the boundaries of what an up-and-coming band can already be. On top of all this, the entire EP is self-produced. Written, recorded, mixed, and mastered entirely by the two founding members.
5. Toronto, ON Canadian metal band CAYM announce they will hitting the studio this February and March with Joe Duplantier of Gojira to produce their new yet to be titled album at his Silver Cord Studio in NYC. The new album will be the follow up to their 2013 release ‘From Red To Black’, which is available for FREE download at https://soundcloud.com/caym-metal/sets/from-red-to-black
In addition to hitting the studio, the band has launched a crowd funding / pre-order campaign for the new album offering various rewards to fans that includes a private CAYM show in drag, a BBQ, limited special edition hard copies, choice of a pop song cover, disposable cams with one of a kind pics capturing their studio recording, custom beer mugs, a workout with the band, used and signed gear from the recording along with many more perks all listed below and available at https://www.gofundme.com/caymalbum
6. Nefarious Realm Offers Up WORMWITCH Single ‘Coffin Birth’ As Sacrifice To The Altar Of Black Metal!
Black Metal newcomers WORMWITCH are offering their debut single for exclusive stream and download through Nefarious Realm.com for 2016. Their song ‘Coffin Birth’ will not be featured on their next EP, which has yet to receive a title. The new single offers a background to their transition from hardcore into Black Metal and touches on their Canadian influence from the infamous climate.
“Coffin Birth is the first song that Wormwitch has written under its name, and is the truest culmination of the band’s vision to date. The standalone covers themes of death and rebirth and the constant struggle of man versus nature; wherein nature exercises its timeless power to cast the blight of mankind into the endless void.” – Robin Harris (guitar/vocals)
The band has offered this song for free to everyone and will be announcing the release of their EP later this year.
7. Canada’s epic metal quartet and 2015 Wacken Metal Battle Champions VESPERIA announce they will be entering Blue Sound & Music Studios in Toronto, Canada this March to record their followup to 2015’s The Iron Tempests EP. Helming the project will be engineer/ producer Russ Mackay (Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Styx). The new album will feature an array of famous Canadian guest musicians and the art will be created by Juno award-winning artist Hugh Syme (Rush, Nevermore, Dream Theatre).
The Indiegogo campaign will give fans many special and unique perks for their contributions, including mead made by the band’s frontman Morgan Rider, Vesperia drinking horns, album pre-releases, the bands stage banners and much more! For all details and to contribute, please visit the following link: https://www.indiegogo.com/at/new-vesperia-album
The band comments:
“With the new year comes much and more from the Vesperia camp! We have been labouring away diligently behind the scenes to breath life into what will be our largest and most ambitious project to date! But to realize our ambitions, we are turning to you: our dear fans, family and friends for help in this new endeavour.
We decided that a crowdfunding campaign made the most sense to raise the necessary funds for our new album while allowing us the opportunity to give back to everyone who has helped build Vesperia to what it is today! We have crafted some truly unique gifts, perks and experiences to make this an incredibly special adventure for everyone. We cant wait to show you what we have in store!”
In additional news, VESPERIA will be supporting Finnish metal masters KALMAH’s 2016 cross Canada tour from April 4th – 24th.
8. Seattle, WA thrashers FALLEN ANGELS have teamed up with Revolver Magazine for the stream of their latest single ‘Into The Abyss’in support of their third studio release ‘World In Decay’ produced by Grammy award winning metal producer/engineer Michael Rosen (Forbidden, Testament, Death Angel, Flotsam and Jetsam, Tesla, Vicious Rumors).
9. Texas Metal Underground (TMU) Records have released their first ever free digital music sampler featuring one full mp3 song from their entire re-issued curated catalog releases.
TMU Records has provided the following mission statement:
Since 2008, TMU Records has been unearthing lost and unheard musical gems from the fertile underground Texas metal scene of the mid 1980’s through the early 1990’s.
To preserve and share this heavy musical legacy, the label focuses primarily on bands who burned bright, briefly, but disappeared without a trace before anyone could take much notice. Bands who managed to get a demo recorded but for reasons unknown never shared it beyond a close circle of friends and fans.
Whether on vinyl, CD, or cassette, all TMU Records releases are given lavish treatment with custom packaging, unseen photos, show flyers, interviews, informative booklets, rare bonus tracks and extras for the denim and leather die-hards.
For our final song, it’s Stuck in a Car, Stuck with a CD time! Bill from Metalsota – check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Metalsota for information on bands and local shows!
Artist: American Headcharge
Album: The War of Art
Song: Never Get Caught
In this episode we discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from Brandon Mohlis from Springfield, Missouri and even more independent music from Deathinition out of Poland – that’s right, we’re up to TWO featured independent bands, we’ll take a look at some podcasts and play some clips in the Podcast Roundup, and then we’ll wrap the show with a little Lemmy discussion, but more importantly we have with us Greg Chilton from the RITUAL MADNESS PODCAST in studio!
Adam Carolla has been off for the past 2 weeks, however he’s been playing a bunch of popular episodes. One of which is an episode with Stone Temple Pilots recorded back when they reformed with Scott Weiland back in the early 2000’s. Scott sounds wasted in this episode by the way. http://adamcarolla.com/stone-temple-pilots/
Also want to note that this coming Friday, January 8th the Ritual Madness Podcast will be having Twin Town Tyrant records on his show – streaming live on this day and with the downloadable podcast to follow if you miss it. I can’t wait to hear this one.
‘One on One with Mitch Lafon‘ podcast.
What’s Nate been listening to?
Notes: KING DIAMOND BITCHES!
Album: Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies
Song: Room 24 (King Diamond guest vocals.)
(Featured Independent #2):
from the Album: Art of Manipulation
the Song is: Priest
If you’re in a band and you’d like to be considered to be played on the Disciples of the Watch podcast, please email us at email@example.com
5. In Defence, Minneapolis’ Crossover Thrash specialists, have announced that Ben Crew will be leaving the band.
“The only interesting thing about religion is how many people it’s slaughtered.”
“Religion is stupid anyway. I mean, a virgin gets pregnant by a ghost! You would never get away with that in a divorce court, would you?”
“Apparently people don’t like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, ‘Oh! Wait a minute — I was wrong.’ I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you.”
“Fuck god and fuck the devil and fuck the church too. I’m responsible for my actions. I don’t need to hide behind nothing. I did it….what I did.”
“As you go through life’s rich tapestry, you realize that most people you meet aren’t fit to shine your shoes. It’s a sad fact, but it’s true. A good friend is someone who’d hide you if you were on the run for murder. How many of them do you know?”
“I don’t understand people who believe that if you ignore something, it’ll go away. That’s completely wrong — if it’s ignored it gathers strength. Europe ignored Hitler for 20 years. As a result he slaughtered a quarter of the world!”
“I don’t think it’s fair to be waving your dick around when people are minding their own business and might not want to see it.”
“If you didn’t do anything that wasn’t good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous.”
“If you think you’re to old to rock n roll then you are.”
“If you’re going to be a fucking rock star, go be one. People don’t want to see the guy next door on stage; they want to see a being from another planet.”
“People have forgotten that sex is fun. It’s the most fun you can have without laughing. People have forgotten that. It’s all deadly serious. AIDS. You can get gonorrhea from a blowjob. So what? That’s the risk you have to take. If you’re going to have sex, fuckin’ have sex and be happy about it. Don’t be looking over your shoulder all the time. It ruins everything.”
“There was a magazine in England who said I screwed 2,000 women and I didn’t; I said 1,000. When you think about it, it isn’t that unreasonable.”
“People just rip each other to shreds over the years. Nothing kills a relationship like commitment.”
“You know the main thing in life is a sense of humor. Lose that, you’re done. You might as well blow your fucking brains out.”
“I don’t do regrets. Regrets are pointless. It’s too late for regrets. You’ve already done it, haven’t you? You’ve lived your life. No point wishing you could change it.”
“This entire generation seems to have become pussies, you know? Nobody seems to enjoy themselves much anymore.They are all knocking each other down for enjoying themselves.”
“Death is an inevitability, isn’t it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. I don’t worry about it. I’m ready for it. When I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn’t complain. It’s been good.”
Album: No Parole
Please, bands, do NOT have autoplay initiated on your websites! It is VERY annoying.
5. Paralysis from New Jersey have announced that the New Jersey based radio station the WRAT in ‘South Jersey’ is going to feature the band later this month. They asked the band for three songs, but since the band didn’t have the album ready, they recorded two more promo versions of the songs “Tensions” and “Wallow Through Endless Streams.” Paralysis have decided to release “Tensions” for streaming for your listening pleasure. https://youtu.be/0MCPP5P8MqU
8. Hellmotz will be releasing their ‘South Born’ will be released next week! “South Born” was recorded at Studio Anubis, in their home town of Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul in Brazil. The production, mixing and mastering were under the responsibility of Aldo Carmine. The cover art was created by the tattoo artist Bismarck Baioni. http://www.hellmotz.com/
If you have any news you’d like to share regarding your band please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
FINAL DISCUSSION TOPIC or SEGMENT:
This episode we’ll discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from Flummox, we’ll discuss our top 10 Megadeth songs of all time, and the return of the ‘2 Minute Metal Meltdown!’A.J. Pero from Twisted Sister died yesterday of an apparent heart attack at the age of 55. We’d like to dedicate this episode to him.
SONG INTERMISSION (Featured Independent):
Song: The Whispering Banshees
“FLUMMOX.” It is a word that means to perplex, to bewilder, and to ultimately confuse the senses. That is the main goal of the band that has chosen this word as their name. Formed in Murfreesboro, TN by long time musical collaborators, Drew Jones & Blake Dellinger, in the summer of 2012, Flummox has delivered nothing short of this with their abrupt genre hopping, heavy riffing, and insane stage show.
Currently, the Flummox trio consists of Dellinger, Jones, with Jody Lester as the singing drummer. With Flummox’s line-up and sound as solid as ever, Flummox plans on hitting the studio with Dave Summers again in spring of 2015 to record the full length follow-up to “PHLUMMOXYGEN.”
8. SACROPHOBIA, is about to see all their recordings officially re-issued on CD under the title of “Dark Requiems”.
Release date for “Dark Requiems” is set for April 20th and in the meantime, you can listen to the opening track from the “Dead Flesh” split album ’93 on YouTube and Soundcloud:
If you have any news you’d like to share regarding your band please email us at email@example.com
Megadeth Top 10
Nate’s Top 10
10. Mary Jane (So Far So Good So What)
9. Set The World On Fire (So Far So Good So What)
8. Bad Omen (Peace Sells But Who’s Buying)
7. My Last Words (Peace Sells But Who’s Buying)
6. Captive Honour (Countdown To Extinction)
5. Wake Up Dead (Peace Sells But Who’s Buying)
4. Good Mourning/Black Friday (Peace Sells But Who’s Buying)
3. Take No Prisoners (Rust In Peace)
2. Tornado Of Souls (Rust In Peace)
1. Five Magics (Rust In Peace)
Gene’s Top 10
10. Sweating Bullets (Countdown to Extinction)
9. Hangar 18 (Rust in Peace)
8. Hook In Mouth (So Far, So Good… So What!)
7. Liar (So Far, So Good… So What!)
6. Wake Up Dead (Peace Sells)
5. 99 Ways To Die (Hidden Treasures/Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure Soundtrack)
4. In My Darkest Hour (So Far, So Good… So What!)
3. This Day We Fight! (Endgame)
2. Set The World Afire (So Far, So Good… So What!)
1. Holy Wars… The Punishment Due (Rust in Peace)
If you have any comments or such you can email Nate at his Disciples of the Watch email address firstname.lastname@example.org or Gene: email@example.com. Hit us up on Facebook by searching for Disciples of the Watch Podcast and follow us on Twitter @dotwpod.
Artist: Twisted Sister
Album: Under the Blade
Song: Under the Blade
Under the Blade is the debut studio album by Twisted Sister and was released on Secret Records on September 18, 1982. It was produced by Pete Way, Mark Mendoza, Dee Snider. It has been remixed and re-released two times.
In 2005, Under the Blade was ranked number 387 in Rock Hard magazine’s book of The 500 Greatest Rock & Metal Albums of All Time.
SONG INTERMISSION (Featured Independent):
Artist: Wicked Inquisition
Album: Silence Thereafter
Song: Jester’s Clown
Notes: Dave Holzer from Clobberboot’s selection!
5. Apparently, HeadbangersLatinoAmerica to unify Metal scene, especially in South America. Visit www.headbangerslatinoamerica.com for more information!
6. Australis Records will be releasing SADISM and MELEKTAUS on vinyl. Visit www.australisrecords.com for more information!
7. MATREKIS is now complete…. again… http://www.matrekis.com
8. Global Thrash Assault launching ‘Talking Thrash’ podcast. http://www.globalthrashassault.com
If you have any news you’d like to share, or any music you’d like considered to be played on the show, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This week on the show we’ve got the news you can use, ‘What’s Nate Been listening to?’ as well as some Golden Gods discussion.
I wanted to let you all know that there’s a group of patent trolls looking to earn a buck on podcasters and they’re aiming for Adam Corolla. Adam is fighting the trolls, but he needs all of our help. If you go to http://fundanything.com/ you’ll see how you can help contribute to the cause. They estimate that it’s going to take something like 1.5 million to take on the patent trolls. Hell, even Amazon.com donated 20k to the cause!
What’s Nate been listening to?
Artist: Om Album: Advaitic Songs Song: Addis & State Of Non-Return