In this episode we’ll discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from Infiltrate Neutralize Govern (ING) from Africa and Angerhead from the USA, we’ll wrap the show with some tidbits from the music-related podcast community in the Podcast Roundup!
2 Minute Metal Meltdown:
1. Ex-MORBID ANGEL Frontman DAVID VINCENT Performs Original Country Song ‘Drinking With The Devil’
Commented vocalist/guitarist Gabe Tachell about the song:
“One of our most progressive and somewhat psychedelic songs, it’s about a fucked up nightmare I had.”
‘An Outsider’ is the follow up to RHINE’s 2011 debut ‘Duality’, which was first a solo effort by band founder Gabriel Tachell (guitar and vocals) whom is now joined by Alex Smolin on guitar (ex-Metameric), James Porter on bass (Ideofone), and Carlos Delgado (Inferion, ex-Death Crowned King) to collaborate on this project.
Seattle’s Rhine are seamlessly connecting German thrash metal with Swedish death metal much like their namesake, the Rhine River. The founder of the group Gabriel Tachell named it such for its simplicity and as a metaphor for fluidity and change.
2. Manitou Springs, CO based AKHENATEN is a Middle Eastern black/ death metal project created in 2012 by the Houseman brothers as a side hobby to their full time band Helleborus. With all music arranged by Jerred and vocals done by his brother Wyatt, the duo are now are offering fans a FREE download of their track ‘Ninurta: The Fall Of Anzu’ from their recently released debut album ‘Incantations Through the Gates of Irkalla’ via Satanath Records (Russia), Murdher Records (Italy) along with Darzamadicus Records (Macedonia).
‘As a token of our appreciation regarding the positive feedback surrounding this release, we are offering you all a free download of Ninurta: The Fall Of Anzu. Soon we will have shirts available with the accompanying illustrations by Dymond Starr. The artwork is a visual reflection the track as it depicts Ninurta slaying Anzu.’ comments vocalist Wyatt Houseman.
3. Hey – Any Canadian bands out there tuning in? Want to play in Cuba? Well, you have a chance to win a slot on the Brutal Brutal Battle Cuba tour! Submissions are now open for independent Canadian metal bands in Oshawa, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Fredericton and Moncton to submit to this year’s first ever competition. One group will win a performing slot on this year’s 2016 BRUTAL SUMMER FEST TOUR line up where they will be playing in front hundreds of Cuban metalheads each night.
“We have been working on this project for a while and we are really excited that it is finally happening! It’s a great opportunity for bands to experience touring outside of Canada and getting the chance to share the stage with international bands. Chase Wilson and I were part of the first Canadian metal band to tour Cuba in 2014. The cultural immersion as well as the musical experience really makes it a Brutal Fest!” comments BBC organizer Rich O’Neil.
4. Unbowed to release Dogma February 12th, 2016. With Dogma, the follow-up to Unbowed’s 2014 debut full-length, Collapse The World, certainly reflects the deeper meaning of the band’s monicker. The songs contained wiithin are eloquent, forceful, and wholly unyielding. The somber atmosphere of Black Metal is apparent whilst the band bludgeons into thick, suffocating Death Metal riffing. With your head already reeling, the band tears open the fabric of reality with soaring Orchestral and Symphonic elements that takes the listener from purgatory to paradise, all in the same fleeting moments. From acoustic guitars and grand pianos to choir ensembles and harps, this is a Metal release that pushes the boundaries of what an up-and-coming band can already be. On top of all this, the entire EP is self-produced. Written, recorded, mixed, and mastered entirely by the two founding members.
5. Toronto, ON Canadian metal band CAYM announce they will hitting the studio this February and March with Joe Duplantier of Gojira to produce their new yet to be titled album at his Silver Cord Studio in NYC. The new album will be the follow up to their 2013 release ‘From Red To Black’, which is available for FREE download at https://soundcloud.com/caym-metal/sets/from-red-to-black
In addition to hitting the studio, the band has launched a crowd funding / pre-order campaign for the new album offering various rewards to fans that includes a private CAYM show in drag, a BBQ, limited special edition hard copies, choice of a pop song cover, disposable cams with one of a kind pics capturing their studio recording, custom beer mugs, a workout with the band, used and signed gear from the recording along with many more perks all listed below and available at https://www.gofundme.com/caymalbum
6. Nefarious Realm Offers Up WORMWITCH Single ‘Coffin Birth’ As Sacrifice To The Altar Of Black Metal!
Black Metal newcomers WORMWITCH are offering their debut single for exclusive stream and download through Nefarious Realm.com for 2016. Their song ‘Coffin Birth’ will not be featured on their next EP, which has yet to receive a title. The new single offers a background to their transition from hardcore into Black Metal and touches on their Canadian influence from the infamous climate.
“Coffin Birth is the first song that Wormwitch has written under its name, and is the truest culmination of the band’s vision to date. The standalone covers themes of death and rebirth and the constant struggle of man versus nature; wherein nature exercises its timeless power to cast the blight of mankind into the endless void.” – Robin Harris (guitar/vocals)
The band has offered this song for free to everyone and will be announcing the release of their EP later this year.
7. Canada’s epic metal quartet and 2015 Wacken Metal Battle Champions VESPERIA announce they will be entering Blue Sound & Music Studios in Toronto, Canada this March to record their followup to 2015’s The Iron Tempests EP. Helming the project will be engineer/ producer Russ Mackay (Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Styx). The new album will feature an array of famous Canadian guest musicians and the art will be created by Juno award-winning artist Hugh Syme (Rush, Nevermore, Dream Theatre).
The Indiegogo campaign will give fans many special and unique perks for their contributions, including mead made by the band’s frontman Morgan Rider, Vesperia drinking horns, album pre-releases, the bands stage banners and much more! For all details and to contribute, please visit the following link: https://www.indiegogo.com/at/new-vesperia-album
The band comments:
“With the new year comes much and more from the Vesperia camp! We have been labouring away diligently behind the scenes to breath life into what will be our largest and most ambitious project to date! But to realize our ambitions, we are turning to you: our dear fans, family and friends for help in this new endeavour.
We decided that a crowdfunding campaign made the most sense to raise the necessary funds for our new album while allowing us the opportunity to give back to everyone who has helped build Vesperia to what it is today! We have crafted some truly unique gifts, perks and experiences to make this an incredibly special adventure for everyone. We cant wait to show you what we have in store!”
In additional news, VESPERIA will be supporting Finnish metal masters KALMAH’s 2016 cross Canada tour from April 4th – 24th.
8. Seattle, WA thrashers FALLEN ANGELS have teamed up with Revolver Magazine for the stream of their latest single ‘Into The Abyss’in support of their third studio release ‘World In Decay’ produced by Grammy award winning metal producer/engineer Michael Rosen (Forbidden, Testament, Death Angel, Flotsam and Jetsam, Tesla, Vicious Rumors).
9. Texas Metal Underground (TMU) Records have released their first ever free digital music sampler featuring one full mp3 song from their entire re-issued curated catalog releases.
TMU Records has provided the following mission statement:
Since 2008, TMU Records has been unearthing lost and unheard musical gems from the fertile underground Texas metal scene of the mid 1980’s through the early 1990’s.
To preserve and share this heavy musical legacy, the label focuses primarily on bands who burned bright, briefly, but disappeared without a trace before anyone could take much notice. Bands who managed to get a demo recorded but for reasons unknown never shared it beyond a close circle of friends and fans.
Whether on vinyl, CD, or cassette, all TMU Records releases are given lavish treatment with custom packaging, unseen photos, show flyers, interviews, informative booklets, rare bonus tracks and extras for the denim and leather die-hards.
For our final song, it’s Stuck in a Car, Stuck with a CD time! Bill from Metalsota – check them out at https://www.facebook.com/Metalsota for information on bands and local shows!
Artist: American Headcharge
Album: The War of Art
Song: Never Get Caught
This episode we’ll discuss current events, what’s Nate been listening to, independent music from Dogmatic Absolution, we lay out our top 10 Anthrax songs along with our special guest and stuck in a car, stuck with a CD participant Matt Lawson!
Top of the show topics:
*Whitesnake “The Purple Album” (Stand out songs):
Holy Man (Vocals fall a little flat from the original which made it hard to get into at 1st)
Stormbringer (Same comment as above)
*Duff McKagan on Adam Carolla’s podcast
*Henry Rollin’s podcast is getting better. I’d recommend ‘Rollins band pts. 1 & 2’ as well as ‘Mr. Pepperman’ episodes.
4. DEICIDE’s Denver Concert To Be Streamed On YAHOO! http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/deicides-denver-concert-to-be-streamed-on-yahoo/
SONG INTERMISSION (Featured Independent):
Artist: Dogmatic Absolution
Album: Poetries of Oppression
Song: Poetries of Oppression
Notes: Dogmatic Absolution was born at the end of 2011, in Finale Emilia, a small town near Modena, Italy. The band was created by the ex-bassist Amnesia and the guitarist El. The band will be releasing “Poetries of Oppression” in June 2015.
8. Paralysis from Long Valley, New Jersey have released a live performance video of their new song ‘Vitriolic Transgression’ and they want you to watch it and offer your opinions on the track. It will be available on their upcoming-yet-untitled release that doesn’t have a release date.
If you have any news you’d like to share regarding your band please email us at email@example.com
ANTHRAX TOP 10!!
10. Madhouse – Spreading The Disease
9. Misery Loves Company – State Of Euphoria
8. Skeletons in the Closet – Among the Living
7. Black Lodge – Sound of White Noise
6. Indians – Among The Living
5. Got The Time – Persistence Of Time
4. Antisocial – State Of Euphoria
3. I Am The Law – Among The Living
2. NFL (Efilnikufesin) – Among The Living
1. Caught In A Mosh – Among The Living
10. Armed And Dangerous – Spreading The Disease
9. A Skeleton In The Closet – Among The Living
8. Antisocial – State Of Euphoria
7. Lone Justice – Spreading The Disease
6. Among The Living – Among The Living
5. Madhouse – Spreading The Disease
4. AIR – Spreading The Disease
3. Caught In A Mosh – Among The Living
2. Black Lodge – The Sound Of White Noise
1. Intro To Reality/Belly Of The Beast – Persistence Of Time
10. Howling Furies – Fistful of Metal
9. Metal Thrashing Mad – Fistful of Metal
8. Madhouse – Spreading the Disease
7. Among The Living – Among the Living
6. Caught In The Mosh – Among the Living
5. In My World – Persistence of Time
4. Armed And Dangerous – Spreading the Disease
3. Potters Field – Sound of White Noise
2. Only – Sound of White Noise
1. Black Lodge – Sound of White Noise
Honorable mention to Safe Home from ‘We’ve Come for you All’. I had a really hard time pulling that from my top 10.
You can email Nate at his Disciples of the Watch email address firstname.lastname@example.org or Gene using email@example.com. You can also visit us at http://www.dotwpod.com and leave comments there. Also hit us up on Facebook by searching for Disciples of the Watch Podcast and follow us on Twitter @dotwpod.
Stuck in a car, stuck with a CD!!
Matt’s pick: King Diamond – Conspiracy
Artist: Kind Diamond
A show about Hard Rock and Heavy Metal music and news, both Independent and the 'Big Time' bands!